Friday, March 30, 2007

Home is where you hang your hat!

It's true when you hear that expression. If your anyone who has ever moved away from home you know that sometimes going back to your roots doesn't always feel the same.

I went home to Vancouver B.C. this weekend to surprise my dad for his 60th birthday. We had such a good time. It was well worth the money to see the look on his face when we walked in the resturant. We being myself and my little girl. I remember my dad turning 40, my mom made a huge deal out of it and it was a ton of fun, but 50 was quite foggy for me. So when I realized this was 60 I knew I couldn't miss it.

The weekend started on friday night. Tracy and Jamie came up to Calgary on the friday night and had dinner and a visit until about 10pm then they and there kids and me and my baby packed up in the van and headed out for the long drive. And long it was. Jamie was amazing I couldn't have done that drive. We had everything from Rain, snow, white out conditions and very little clear sky. He did it though and we were sure glad to see the Abbotsford exit signs up ahead. The kids were perfect, they all slept through the night and made it a little easier.

My baby brother Scott picked me up in Sumas and took me back to his house, but not before he took me past our old house. A little history for you, I grew up in one house only and lived there from the time I was born until I got married. My parents sold that house about 4 yrs ago and moved permanatly to 100 mile house. It was an old farm house that really needed some love and attention, but it was home to me and I have soooo many wonderful memories from that dwelling. Well my house it is no more the new owners have magically changed it into something amazing. I won't bore you with the details but HOLY CRAP what a difference, and hat's off to them it looks great. That was my first hint that home was not the same. We arrived at Scotts and hung out and showered and changed into some clean clothes and headed out for some breakfast and shoppping. Then we met up with my dear friends Marcy & Tricia and had a great visit over a healthy lunch amongst wiggily babies and my screaming daughter. It was soooo good to see the girls and catch up again. It never seems to matter how long were apart we always have so much to share and being with them feels like home.

After a busy morning and a very long night we headed back to Scotts and had a great nap so we were rested up for the evening. Then we cleaned up and headed off to the birthday party and saw some old friends and family I hadn't seen in a very long time. Most of the people there had never seen my daughter and it was nice to show her off. She was so good and that made the evening even nicer. We later wandered over to some friends house to visit with mom and dad a little longer and when I started to fall asleep in the chair Scott took me home to bed.

Then next day was spent visiting more friends and enjoying some good weather. We had brunch and headed off to the beach to stroll along the pier. I was shocked at the sight of the water. It use to be nice place to play in the water as kids but that has all changed. The water was brown and gross and we stuck to dry land but the air was fresh and clean and that was great. Baby Girl stole my ice cream cone and enjoyed every lick she got. It was a wonderful afternoon. We said goodbye to mom and dad there and then headed off to a fair in Cloverdale and met up with more friends and took the kids of some amusement rides and that was hoot. I love to watch my kids scream with glee and fright all at the same times. Both of my kids love rides and nothing seems to faze them.

We then wandered off to see more friends who offered to let the baby sleep at there place while Scott and I went to see a movie and enjoy some time together without any distraction from her. Monday morning we were up bright and early and off to the airport to head home to Calgary and The flight was great and we had no problems getting in right on time.

It was a great trip and very fast, but I saw a ton of people and caught up with everyone I wanted to. As we drove around my old neighborhoods it was very clear to me that I would be so lost if I moved home. Sure I would adjust but it doesn't feel the same anymore. Calgary is my home and I love it here. I miss my friends terribly and if I could buy them all homes here I would and then I could have the best of both worlds. I will never stop being amazed at how fast life changes around us, and yet I love how my life is ever changing and ever amazing.

Happy Birthday Daddy and here's to 60 more. (If anyone could do it you could. Unless the bears eat you first HA HA)

No comments: