Thursday, May 22, 2008






My trip to mexico was an adventure to say the least. It was fun in many ways but stressful in sooooo many others.


I'll start with the flight. I will admit I quite like to fly it gives me a chance to read and relax and catch up on some quiet time I don't usually get. I flew from Calgary to Houston then transfered planes and went into CanCun. When we were desending into CanCun I felt a pitin my stomach and wasn't sure if it was nerves or intuition. Well guess what I do have intuition. I made it through customs ok but when I went to retrieve my luggage it wsa not there. No big deal right? Wrong! My entire salon was stuffed into that bag and if it was lost I was hooped. The women at the ticket counter was very nice and promised that it would be returned the very next day. Well it was but not until 4pm the next day!!
The second day was quiet, but relaxing I couldn't go anywhere because I had to wait for my luggage to arrive. I wandered the town for a little bit but only long enough to burn my back and arms. Everyone was so good to me, I was affectionatly refered to as "the hairdresser" and was treated very well by everyone. They fed me, watered me, and shared clothes and sunscreen until my bag arrived.
At 3pm we started the hair marathon, and did some trials for the wedding, did a few haircuts, and got everyone ready for the rehersal party. Have you ever tried to do someones hair fresh out of the pool or ocean? It's different let me tell you. I have to say it was a very fun way to learn hair all over again. We then headed to a neighboring resturant for dinner and a wonderful fireworks display that the groom suprised his bride with to show her how much he loved her. Nice eh?!
The next morning was the wedding and it was a little slow to start but by 10:30 we were in full hair swing, cutting and styling and curling and anything else we could think of. I worked straight through until it was time to walk down the aisle and the girls were beautiful. I was very proud of my work and very grateful to be a part of such an incredible event. Most destiantion weddings have just a handful of people in attendance but this one had 80 people there. It was awesome.
The next day my taxi picked me up at 4:15am and we were off to the airport yet again. What a whirlwind but I would definalty do it again, only this time I will be better prepared.
Oh and for all you moms and dads who think Dora and Diego are haunting you, be grateful I was sure glad for the few tidbits I learned from all my years with them.
Well till the next time....

No comments: